Life : Captured


International Photographer
Kimberly Miner



Join me on facebook!

Friday, March 5, 2010

reflecting on saturdays past






I grew up going to church every Saturday. and i liked it. all my friends went to church, so it was another place for me to be social. i also loved how after church each week, we either had company over for lunch, or if we got invited by friends, we made the trek into town and would spend the afternoon with them. Saturdays consisted of Church, potlucks, go for walks, drives, often to Whitman Mission, South Fork, or Jubilee lake, to name a few. i remember on the drives to South Fork (Harris Park), which was just three miles from where we grew up on the river road, my parents would let me and my brother sit in the back side passenger windows and we would try and reach across the hood of the car and hold hands, while my dad drove 20mph down the gravel road. we didn't watch t.v. from sundown friday until sundown saturday.....5 4 3 2 1. TURN ON THE TV! Fantasy Island is on! (just kidding mom...i know we weren't supposed to watch that). For my brothers and i it was a countdown to get back to daily life, but looking back it was such a quiet, relaxing, no stress time. other than the quarrels that happened while everyone was trying to get ready for church on time, or fight over who gets the window seats in the car, Saturdays were a day spent around family. I still remember the excitement of waiting for church to get over so i could go to Charmi's house to play, or have a friend come over and play barbies by the riverside, or picknicking at a park.

Saturdays now. alarm at 7. check my planner, my phone, both emails, respond to texts, make french press coffee and drink whole pot before 8. photo shoots, chores, make appointments, errands that didn't get done during the week. appointments with clients who want to look at prints, follow up with clients, deliver photo books, clothes shop for new basketball shoes, sports, snowboarding, boys doing homework, going to the gym, working on donations, marketing, blogging, trying to get my hour long walk in, farmer's market, and the list goes on.

Forgive me God, for EVER giving my poor mom grief because i was "bored" on occasional saturdays. I realize now, she was doing everything in her power to give us a family oriented day, filled with food and wonderful friends and for teaching us about you, a day with no business phone calls, no extra haircuts during the weekends, to make extra money. she sacrificed and worked hard, long hours during the week, so that we could have the family and friends time together on Saturdays.

THEN there were SUNDAYS. ugh. chores chores and more chores. after all, we had ALL day saturday to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment